Saturday, June 23, 2007

Saturday Endeavors



Since I'm up and about so early on a Saturday, I figured it was time to get my blog up and running with it's very first post. (Woot!) I've gotten my long awaited online store up and running. So, ok, it was probably only long awaited by me, but if you'd like to give it a look, you may do so here: http://www.distinctleigh.etsy.com or by clicking on my "etsy mini" on the right of this page. I will be blogging here about some of my pieces, store updates, creative processes, general life affirmations, etc. So check in with me from time to time. The piece you see to the left is a necklace I listed in my store this past week. I love the black glass with the hint of lavendar jade. When it was finished, it reminded me of something a bookish person (like myself) would wear...perhaps at the library. I'm not sure why, I can just picture someone wearing this while reading Jane Eyre. Hmm...maybe I should read Jane Eyre.



The little guy above is absolutely one of my favorites. He's in my store as well, so go visit him if you get a chance!

So it's a lovely little Saturday and I'm trying to come up with some fun things to entertain myself with today. A trip to the bead store might be in order so I can continue to stock my store with tasty goodies. I always have way too much fun in those places. We have 3 that I frequent here in Austin because they each have their strong points selection- and price-wise. I can spend almost as much time in a bead store as I can in a bookstore and my poor, yet good-sport of a boyfriend gets dragged to both places on a regular basis.

Speaking of books, I'm reading an excellent one called The Wild Trees by Richard Preston. It's a beautifully written non-fiction about this whole other eco-system in the canopies of the California redwood forests. Apparently it has only been explored by a select few and there are animals up there that have never even seen, let alone touched the actual earth. I think that alone is fascinating. These little squrriels were born 350+ feet in the air and they're completely unafraid of humans because, well, they've never even seen one and don't know to be afraid. Get this book and read up! It's so amazing it's virtually indescribable. (But trust me, the author does a great deal of describing, so you won't be disappointed!)

Hmm...perhaps before I head off to get beads I'll drop by the pool for a swim (how's that for stream of conscious thinking). That sounds perfect for a lazy Saturday morning, eh? Have a great weekend kiddos!

3 comments:

Eggman Studios said...

Yay! Your shop is lookin' mighty fine (can't wait to see what other delicious goodies you put in there!). Oh, and that owl necklace? *Love*! Keep it up!

And I'm also so glad to hear you had a wonderful time at the PotC opening! I had a blast too (though, we weren't lucky enough to have a pirate band...). :)

Leigh-Ann said...

Thanks for taking a look! I'm still learning the ropes, but it's pretty fun!

M. D. Vaden of Oregon said...

Well, I've been around those trees.

Grove of Titans / Atlas Grove

And I'd say Preston does a sufficient description. But what if the vocabulary stretches imaginations a bit too far?

For example, he denotes that a very small "handful" of botanists know the location of these trees. What if I tell you the number of folks exceeds botanists, into the triple digits?

Now, most of the stuff he says is factual. And a few things are exclusive to the upper canopy. But most of what happens up above, is an extension of what's going on down below.

Like the trees growing up there in decay pockets. That's very common from waist level, all the way on up.

But it is a good reading story. I still recommend the book.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon